Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard erupted for a career-high 71 points against the Houston Rockets. He ties Donovan Mitchell for the most points by an NBA player in 17 years.
The scoring output matches the eighth highest in league history. Only Wilt Chamberlain (100 points), Kobe Bryant (81 points) and David Thompson (73 points) have scored more. Chamberlain owns six of the top 10 scoring performances.
Lillard went 22-for-38 from the field and 13-for-22 from downtown in the 131-114 win over Houston. The Blazers improved to 29-31 putting themselves in contention for a Western Conference playoff spot.
Lillard’s historic evening has bumped up his February scoring average to 40.3 ppg. The Houston Rockets rank 25th in scoring defense so it was’t surprising to see Lillard torch them for 71 points. Houston also surrender the most three-pointers per game (14.6) so they were the perfect opponents for Lillard to get hot from deep.
41 first half points
Lillard got things going by cooking Houston for 41 points in the opening half. He nailed 8 three-pointers on 13/19 shooting in just 19 minutes of action.
Damian Lillard’s record breaking night
- Ties Donovan Mitchell for the NBA’s current season high of 71 points
- Ranks third all-time for most 60-point games with 5, trailing only Kobe Bryant (6) and Wilt Chamberlain (32)
- Lillard has more 60-point games than: Stephen Curry, LeBron James, Shaquille O’Neal, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan, Bill Russell and Kevin Durant combined
- Lillard is the only player in NBA history to have a game with 60+ points and 10+ three-pointers – he’s now done it twice
- Joins Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, James Harden and Elgin Baylor as the only players with 15 or more 50-point games
- Joins Klay Thompson, Stephen Curry, Jayson Tatum as the only players with 13+ three-pointers in a game
- Joins Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell and David Robinson as only players with a 70/5/5 game
- First player to register 40 points and 8 threes in a half since Kobe Bryant in 2003
- Oldest players to score 70+ points in NBA history
- Most efficient 70+ point game in NBA history
- First 70-point game in under 40 minutes
- Fewest free throw attempts (14) in a 70-point game
- First 70-point game with 10+ three pointers
- Highest TS% (80.4%) in 70-point game
- Ties Kyrie Irving for third most points in a half behind Devin Booker (51) and Donovan Mitchell (42).
Best reactions to Damian Lillard’s 71 point game
Players and fans were all in disbelief after witnessing Lillard’s epic offensive output.