Brad Riddell has made the decision to step away from MMA competition following his loss to Renato Moicano at UFC 281.
Riddell’s first-round submission loss to Renato Moicano at Madison Square Garden this past weekend amounts to the third time the New Zealand lightweight has been finished in the space of twelve months.
Dissatisfied with his recent run, the proud City Kickboxing representative took to Instagram to share his decision with the world.
Riddell’s emergence in the UFC resulted in a 4-0 start for the highly touted Kiwi. His most recent win came via a unanimous decision win in June of 2021 opposite Drew Dober.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Exclusive: Israel Adesanya: Title or no title, ‘I’m still gonna have a target on my back’
- UFC 281: The AllStar MMA Live: UFC 281 Reaction, Recap with Johnny Eblen
- UFC Seoul: Doo Ho Choi to take on Kyle Nelson at Feb 4 UFC event in South Korea: Sources
The best of the rest
- Frankie Edgar ‘obviously heartbroken’ after knockout loss in retirement fight: ‘It f****** sucks but how can I complain’ – MMAFighting.com
- Alex Pereira receives hero’s welcome in return home after championship win at UFC 281 – MMAFighting.com
- Justin Gaethje: Fights vs. Rafael Fiziev, Charles Oliveira ‘both make just as much sense to me right now’ – MMAJunkie.com
- PFL World Championship pay-per-view price revealed – MMAFighting.com
- Israel Adesanya says he was dealing with ‘medical stuff’ ahead of UFC 281 – BloodyElbow.com
Robert Whittaker offers his thoughts on Alex Pereira:
Gilbert Burns will fight anybody:
Paulo vs Conor in the works 😂:
The simple life with Bryce Mitchell:
Gamrot wants Chandler:
An back and forth over a fight that won’t happen:
The morning view
Brandon Moreno’s teammate gives some insight into his preparation for UFC 283:
Alex Volkanovski recaps UFC 281:
MMA On Point details the 10 luckiest victories in MMA:
Laura Sanko talks being a pioneer in MMA broadcasting on the RSD couch:
- Philipe Lins to replace Alexander Gustafsson opposite Ovince st. Preux at UFC 282 on December 10 (Per Ovince st. Preux)
- Shannon Ross to fight Kleydson Rodrigues at UFC 284 on February 11th (per UFC)
- Jimmy Crute to fight Alonzo Menifield at UFC 284 on February 11th (per UFC)
Fighters removed this week:
- Shanna Young
- Silvana Gomez Juarez
Fighters Added this week:
- Miles Johns
- Tereza Bleda
Credit to UFC Roster Watch
On this day in MMA…
On the 16th of November, 2013, Georges St. Pierre announced his (first) retirement from mixed martial arts at UFC 167 in Las Vegas, Nevada,
After a tooth-and-nail battle opposite Johny Hendricks that resulted in perhaps the most controversial split decision win in UFC history, St. Pierre secured his ninth consecutive defense of the welterweight title.
During the post-fight interview, a seemingly shocked St. Pierre remarked that he was in need of a long break from the sport, and would be relinquishing his freshly defended title.
The Canadian remained true to his word and abstained from competition for the following four years before making a triumphant return at UFC 217 to snatch the middleweight title from Michael Bisping.