UFC President Dana White copped a torrent of fan outrage earlier today.
A video was uploaded to social media showing the long-time fight promoter gifting YouTuber Kyle Forgeard $250,000 while celebrating the online star’s birthday at a restaurant.
It wasn’t long after the clip went live before the backlash from fans citing fighter pay issues came pouring in from all angles. Notable critics included journalist and prominent advocate for fighter’s rights, John S. Nash:
Uncle Dana has some explaining to do….
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Road to UFC: Tournament semifinal round in the works for October 23: Sources
- The AllStar MMA Live: Dan Hooker favors Rafael Fiziev in potential Justin Gaethje matchup
- Opinion: How head trauma prompted Roxanne Modafferi to hang up her gloves
The best of the rest
- Yair Rodriguez says UFC has promised him a title shot if he beats Brian Ortega at UFC on ABC 3 – MMAFighting.com
- Jan Blachowicz: Jiri Prochazka not upholding ‘samurai code’ by picking Glover Teixeira – MMAFighting.com
- Brian Ortega would love to rematch UFC champ Alexander Volkanovski: ‘I’m just a deadly opponent for him’ – MMAJunkie.com
- ‘We’ve got a date’ – UFC champ Israel Adesanya reveals Alex Pereira title fight is in the works – BloodyElbow.com
- Alex Volkanovski ‘not a huge threat’ to Islam Makhachev, UFC’s ‘master of the takedown’ – MMAMania.com
There’s been some increasing movement as the week progresses on a light-heavyweight matchup that’s flying somewhat under the radar, between two very promising prospects that are both currently on a tear.
Dustin Jacoby, a talented kickboxer who’s amassed six wins and one draw since his return to the UFC in 2020, will take on Da Un Jung. The South Korean is a 28-year-old powerhouse who’s on a 14-fight win streak, with his last four wins coming inside of the UFC.
The market opened giving Jacoby the slight edge, eventually swelling even more in the kickboxer’s favor in the following days. Now, however, the lines are squeezing tighter with each passing day. If you want to take Jung at plus money odds, your window of opportunity may be closing.
Markets presented by Crypto sports book Cloudbet:
Dustin Jacoby (17-5-1) vs Da Un Jung (15-2-1)
Nate laces up a different set of Gloves:
Humble Beginnings for Aleksei Oleynik:
Lauren Murphy is hungry:
Raufeon Stotts isn’t sweating Sabatello:
The morning view
Dan Hooker gives his take on Ortega vs Rodriguez:
City Kickboxing’s resident Judoka details his upcoming welterweight title fight on Eternal 67:
Uncle Chael gives his two cents on Nate Diaz’s next opponent:
Rashad Evans has some advice for former teammate turned foe, Jon Jones:
- Nate Landwehr to fight Zubaira Tukhugov at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th (per UFC)
- Giga Chikadze to fight Sodiq Yusuff at September 17th UFC event (per UFC)
- Tanner Boser to fight Rodrigo Nascimento at September 17th UFC event (per MMA Fighting)
On this day in MMA…
On July 12th, 1996, UFC 10: The Tournament took place in Birmingham Alabama.
This event – featuring an eight-man tournament in which a debuting Mark Coleman served the favorite, Don Frye, his first loss in the final bout – marked the first time now veteran ring announcer Bruce Buffer’s voice had graced the Octagon.
Here’s a recap of the action-packed night.