Daniel Cormier has his opinions about Tony Ferguson and he’s not afraid to voice them; but that doesn’t mean ‘El Cucuy’ has to accept them, however.
Earlier this week ‘DC’ used his ESPN show, ‘DC & RC’, to share his opinions on an ageing Ferguson and the state of his UFC career. The Olympian admitted he was shocked during the UFC 279 main event, suggesting he “could not believe” what he was seeing- and not in a good way.
“The crazy thing about Tony Ferguson to me is that it wasn’t a gradual decline,” Cormier told co-host Ryan Clark. “It was like he got to the edge of the cliff and just fell off the cliff. It was Justin Gaethje, then that was it. The moment he was done [was] that interim title fight — he wasn’t as good. Granted, he lost to Beneil Dariush and Charles Oliveira so you go, ‘Well, he’s fighting the best in the world.’ But now we got to see him fight Nate Diaz who’s not the best in the world right now. Nate will tell you he’s the best in the world, but he didn’t do great against Nate.”
Ferguson shared his response to Cormier via an Instagram comment, implying ‘DC’s love for Khabib Nurmagomedov is skewing the retired two-division champion’s view.
“[Daniel Cormier] Should Put The Sweets Down. Too Much Sugar Will Go To Your Head like Ol’ Fathead Khabieber. Once a hater always a vagina- Champ”
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Exclusive: Bellator signs King of Pancrase Masayuki Kikuiri to an exclusive deal
- UFC 281: Dan Hooker is happy to show the world that ‘The Kneebar Kid’ is not on his level
- UFC Vegas 60: Chris Daukaus wants to beat Jairzinho Rozenstruik at his own game ‘no takedowns, let’s see what happens’
- DWCS: Jack Jenkins plans for an early night out in ‘validating’ Contender Series debut
The best of the rest
- Andre Pederneiras advises Jose Aldo to retire, but expects former champion to finish contract at UFC 283 – MMAFighting.com
- MMA manager Kyle Stoltz pleads guilty, sentenced after arrest in FBI child sex sting operation – MMAJunkie.com
- Fighters asked to wear The Rock’s shoes, but won’t get paid from new UFC sponsorship – BloodyElbow.com
- Song Yadong sees title shot with finish of ‘very dangerous’ Cory Sandhagen at UFC Fight Night 210 – BloodyElbow.com
- Matchroom exec Eddie Hearn picks Jake Paul to beat Anderson Silva – MMAFighting.com
Footage of Till and Holland after the UFC 279 scuffle:
T-Wrecks speaks out on The Rock’s UFC partnership:
Chris Curtis makes a brave admission:
Nick Diaz mimics Tony Ferguson ahead of UFC 279:
Triple C is on the juice:
PFL signs Muhammad Ali’s grandson:
The morning view
JHK makes his first Fight or Flight update since returning back to South Korea:
Refresh yourself with some of Cory Sandhagen and Song Yadong’s best finishes:
Chael wants to know what’s going on with Volk:
- Calvin Kattar to fight Arnold Allen at UFC Vegas 63 on October 29th (per Brett Okamoto)
- Mike Davis to fight Viacheslav Borschev at UFC Vegas 61 on October 1st (per David Van Auken)
- Jared Cannonier rebooked to fight Sean Strickland at UFC event on December 17th (per Helen Yee)
- Sodiq Yusuff will now fight Don Shainis at UFC Vegas 61 on October 1st (per Marcel Dorff)
- Julio Arce to fight Montel Jackson at UFC 281 on November 12th (per Team Irridium)
- Scrapped: Slim Trabelsi to fight Parker Porter at UFC 280 on October 22nd (Trabelsi contract issues)
- None to note
On this day in MMA…
On the 15th of September, 2010, Charles Oliveira extended his unbeaten streak to 14-0 when he submitted Efrain Escudero at UFC Fight Night 22 in Austin, Texas.
In what was Oliveira’s sophomore UFC appearance, the Brazilian locked in a standing rear naked choke in the final round to secure his fourteenth straight win.
That streak would end, however, in ‘Do Bronx’s very next fight at UFC 124, when Jim Miller became the first man to defeat Oliveira.