Gilbert Burns followed through on a promise he made to Adrian Yanez in the build-up to to the Texan’s home-town UFC Austin bout opposite Tony Kelley.
After Kelley was heard slandering Brazilians on a live UFC broadcast while cornering his partner, Andrea Lee, `Durinho’ took to Twitter to put a bounty on the Louisiana native’s head.
Yanez, a hot bantamweight prospect out of Houston, had issues of his own with his opponent, spurred on further by in-cage trash talk during the fight. Remaining calm and composed, Yanez dissected the opposing 135-pounder handily and finished Kelley four minutes into the opening round.
Though originally hesitant to accept the cash payment from Burns, Yanez obliged after the Brazilian insisted multiple times on Twitter, and pledged to spend it on his son.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Dan Hooker refutes judging in UFC Austin main event – “The more effective damage was coming from Kattar”
- Zhang Mingyang wants to pave the way for bigger Chinese fighters to succeed in the UFC
- The Original Fight Island: Viwat Sakulrat of Tiger Muay Thai
The best of the rest
- Josh Emmett: ‘I thought I was going to get screwed’ by split decision, ‘I thought I won four rounds’ – MMAFighting.com
- Phil Hawes apologizes to Daniel Cormier for heated exchange at UFC Austin: ‘Don’t beat me up’ – MMAFighting.com
- Joaquin Buckley was hoping for a viral KO, but glad doctor stopped bout for Albert Duraev’s health – MMAJunkie.com
- Georges St-Pierre calls for someone who ‘doesn’t care about the money’ to unify fighters – BloodyElbow.com
- Darren Till shares surprising prediction for Sean Strickland vs Alex Pereira fight: “You heard it here 1st” – MMAFighting.com
Aussie UFC and MMA veteran Damien ‘Beat Down’ Brown drops back in to give his take on this weekend’s headliner between Arman Tsarukyan and Mateusz Gamrot:
Can the smothering pressure of the Polish prospect derail Tsarukyan’s five-fight win streak in the UFC? Gamrot currently sits as the moderate underdog, netting you plus money odds for the upset win on crypto sports book Cloudbet:
Arman Tsarukyan (18-2) vs Mateusz Gamrot (20-1)
Aljo taking shots at TJ Dillashaw
Big Mouth ‘sonning’ Joaquin Buckley…
Derek Brunson had a similar idea:
Future featherweight contenders going back and forth:
Eddie Wineland on his retirement
Joe Lauzon with an update on his knee
The morning view
John Hyon Ko and Dan Hooker recap UFC Austin
Volk switches it up and stacks burgers with Izzy
Bisping thinks Khabib vs Tony is on the cards…
- Dominick Cruz to fight Chito Vera at UFC San Diego on August 13th (Per Carlos Legaspi/ESPN Deportes)
- Nasrat Haqparast to fight John Makdessi at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per Marcel Dorff)
- Shamil Gamzatov to fight Misha Cirkunov at August 6th UFC event (per MMA Fight Universe)
- Randy Costa to fight Guido Cannetti at October 1st UFC event (per Carlos Legaspi/ESPN Deportes)
On this day in MMA…
On June 20, 2015, Joanna Jędrzejczyk emerged victorious in her first UFC strawweight title defense, stopping Jessica Penne with strikes in the third round at UFC Berlin.
This win marked Jędrzejczyk’s tenth victory in a row since her professional MMA debut in 2012. That streak would continue for a further two years before the Polish prodigy was bested by Rose Namajunas in 2017.