According to a report by MMA Fighting, sources have confirmed that the 18-1 featherweight had notified the UFC of his decision to retire.
At 31-years-old, the Russian was widely viewed as a future contender to the 145-pound throne. However, health issues and a global pandemic stifled Zabit’s opportunities to compete over the past three years.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- The AllStar’s Best Bets: UFC Fight Night Austin: Kattar vs. Emmett – curated by resident handicapper Garrett Kerman
- The Original Fight Island: Olavo Abreu of Temple BJJ
- How head trauma prompted Roxanne Modafferi to hang up her gloves
The best of the rest
- Aljamain Sterling vs. T.J. Dillashaw title fight being finalized for UFC 279 – MMAJunkie.com
- Donald Cerrone aiming to break records at UFC Fight Night: Kattar vs Emmett – UFC.com
- Taila Santos believes she won at least 3 rounds against Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 275, wants rematch – MMAFighting.com
- Deiveson Figueiredo eyes permanent move to bantamweight: ‘I see fear’ in Aljamain Sterling’s eyes – BloodyElbow.com
- Charles Oliveira opines that Arizona State Athletic commission wanted Justin Gaethje to win at UFC 274: “They robbed me” – BJPenn.com
Nothing from the pro’s today, instead here’s what our resident handicapper, Garrett Kerman, has to say about an important bout between Kevin Holland and Tim Means
Can Holland keep up the success in this new welterweight run? most punters are banking on it.
Here’s a look at the current lines, presented by crypto sports book Cloudbet:
Aljo playing like he’s keeping his options open…
Gilbert wants Jorge in a ‘no takedowns’ match
Welterweight prospect Sean Brady wants to do Dustin a favor and give him a fight
Big Mouth shares his gameplan for this weekend
McKenzie Dern tests out a new form of pad practice
Luke Thomas shares some wild stats on Holloway vs Kattar, via Richard A. Mann
The morning view
The AllStar’s wagering experts are on hand to lead you into a profitable weekend
Uncle Chael goes over what’s on the line between Strickland and Pereira
In The Pocket MMA brings you some of the best BMF moments in MMA
- Aljamain Sterling in the works to face T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 279 on September 10th (per MMA Junkie)
- Daniel Da Silva will replace Jake Hadley as Victor Altamirano’s opponent at UFC 279 on September 10th (per ESPN Deportes)
- Jessica Andrade will replace Katlyn Chookagian as Manon Fiorot’s opponent at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per MMA Kings)
- Ian Garry to fight Gabe Green at UFC 276 on July 2 (per UFC announcement)
- Andre Fili to fight Lando Vanatta at September 17 UFC event (per MMA Junkie, confirmed by Andre Fili)
- Jason Witt to fight Josh Quinlan at August 6th UFC event (per Sherdog)Kamaru Usman to fight Leon Edwards at UFC 278 on August 20th (per UFC announcement)
- Alan Nascimento to fight Malcolm Gordon at August 13th UFC event (per MMA Junkie)
- Takashi Sato to fight Bryan Battle (dropping to welterweight) at August 6th UFC event (per MMA Fighting)
On this day in MMA…
On June 16, 2007, UFC 72: Victory was held in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
This event, headlined by Rich Franklin defeating Yushin Okami on the scorecards after three rounds, marked the first time the promotion had touched down on Irish soil. In the same year that homegrown future star, Conor McGregor, would make his amateur MMA debut.
The Irish market for the sport would later blow up in terms of popularity – thanks, in no small part, to the Notorious one.