The Group A winners odds suggest Qatar will struggle, having to play the Netherlands, who are heavily favored to win the group, along with Senegal and Ecuador. We take a look at the Group A winners odds and those for the two opening group stage matches.
Qatar has reportedly pumped up to $200 billion into infrastructure in preparation for the biggest global sporting event bar the Olympics. The tournament’s matches will be played in eight stadiums, including the 974 – an amazing feat of engineering designed to be taken apart and repurposed once a new champion is crowned.
Group A Winners Odds: Netherlands favored
World Cup Group A winners odds clearly show that the Netherlands are heavy favorites in Group A. In the recent June update to FIFA world rankings, the Dutch jumped two spots from #10 to #8.
They are followed by #18 Senegal (also up two in the rankings) – the current kings of African football, having won AFCON 2022 – but the gap is substantial.
- Best odds on the Netherlands: Cloudbet
- Best odds on Senegal, Ecuador and Qatar: MyBookie
Group A Opening Matches
Qatar v Ecuador
The host nation Qatar, #49 in the FIFA world rankings, opens the tournament against #44 Ecuador, their closest opponent in the group.
The South Americans are favored over the hosts.
- Best odds on Qatar: Cloudbet
- Best odds on Ecuador: Bovada / Bodog
- Best odds on Draw: Stake
Netherlands v Senegal
Unsurprisingly, the Netherlands are heavily favored over Senegal and will be keen to get their campaign off to a solid start.
The likelihood is that this game will decide who tops the group, which could have some serious ramifications.
- Best odds on Netherlands: Stake
- Best odds on Senegal: Bovada / Bodog
- Best odds on Draw: Bovada / Bodog
- Read our in-depth preview of the game here: Senegal vs Netherlands FIFA World Cup 2022 – Preview, Analysis
- Read our deeper dive into Senegal’s chances: Will the Lions of Teranga Roar?