Raul Rosas Jr. is set to become the youngest contestant ever to compete on Dana White’s Contender Series.
On Tuesday the 17-year-old Rosas Jr. revealed via Instagram that he’d inked a contract to compete in the Contender Series. It was later confirmed by ESPN Deportes that the teen would star on the September 20th broadcast of the program.
Rosas Jr., who has competed solely on the Mexican regional scene to this point, has only left the first round once in his five-fight career and boasts four submission wins alongside a lone KO.
A special license will need to be obtained by the 5-0 prospect before he competes, as in the state of Nevada, fighters must be over the age of 18 in order to be licensed by the state athletic commission.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Fight or Flight: Keep up with John Hyon Ko’s journo to fighter journey as he prepares to take an amateur fight
- UFC 278: Sean Woodson claims Luis Saldaña ‘doesn’t like dealing with pressure’
- UFC 278: Yanan Wu feeling “peaceful” ahead of Lucie Pudilova fight, plans diverse striking attack
- UFC 278: It’s hard for Jay Perrin to feel threatened by Aoriqileng when ‘he’s been sat down by flyweights’
The best of the rest
- Shane Burgos announces move to PFL – MMAFighting.com
- Coach: Jon Jones can beat Francis Ngannou and Stipe Miocic: ‘There’s nobody like Jon Jones at heavyweight’ – MMAFighting.com
- Leon Edwards says UFC 278 perfect time to fight Kamaru Usman: ‘His body is breaking down’ – MMAjunkie.com
- Aljamain Sterling opens up about awkward relationship with UFC brass: ‘I’m working on it’ – BloodyElbow.com
- Tyson Nam no longer allowed to fight in California at flyweight unless weight fluctuation changes – MMAMania.com
Dom Cruz’ first public words since his loss:
Chael and Tito go back and forth:
Colby and Lil Wayne turn up:
No friends in the fight game:
Terrance McKinney on Paddy Pimblett:
Bryce Mitchell got jokes:
Herbert Burns is on the mend:
The morning view
Vicente Luque breaks down Khamzat vs Nate:
JHK catches up with Julian Erosa ahead of his upcoming UFC 279 bout:
UFC 278 Embedded kicks off:
Bisping reacts to the Marlon Vera KO of Dominick Cruz:
- Dominick Reyes to fight Ryan Spann at UFC 281 on November 12th (per MMA Junkie)
- Derek Brunson to fight Jack Hermansson at UFC event on December 3rd (per Ariel Helwani)
- Mike Jackson to fight Pete Rodriguez at UFC event on October 15th (per MMA Junkie)
- Tim Means to fight Max Griffin at UFC event on October 29th (per Farah Hannoun)
- Charles Jourdain to fight Nathaniel Wood at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per Al Zullino)
- Tresean Gore to fight Josh Fremd at UFC event on October 29th (per Mike Heck)
On this day in MMA…
On the 16th of August, 2014, ‘Smilin’ Sam Alvey made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 47 in Bangor, Maine in the United States.
In what may have been a form of cruel foreshadowing for the middleweight’s later UFC run, Alvey would come up short on the scorecards to Tom Watson after the full 15 minutes.
Alvey was recently let go from the promotion after a record breaking eight fight losing skid.