Gilbert Burns has no plans of moving on anytime soon.
‘Durinho’, who turns 36 next month, took to Twitter earlier today to announce that he’d just signed a fresh multi-fight deal with the UFC.
The Brazilian veteran also confirmed in the comment section of the tweet that a ‘five round’ clause was agreed to in the contract – meaning that from now on he’ll only compete in 25-minute bouts.
A hand injury sustained in his bout opposite Khamzat Chimaev means Burns is likely out of action until September or October.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Fight Night: The AllStar’s Best Bets: UFC Fight Night Austin: Kattar vs. Emmett – curated by resident handicapper Garrett Kerman
- Fight Night: Propping You Up | UFC Austin: Kattar vs. Emmett | UFC Prop Bets
- Opinion: Who deserved to win: Valentina Shevchenko or Taila Santos? An insider’s take
The best of the rest
- Belal Muhammad: ‘I saw weaknesses’ in Khamzat Chimaev’s win against Gilbert Burns – MMAJunkie.com
- Jeremy Stephens forced to shave his head and beard to make weight for PFL fight – BJPenn.com
- Aljamain Sterling explains why he hasn’t signed contract for UFC 279: ‘There has been no escalator in this fight’ – MMAFighting.com
- UFC’s Zabit Magomedsharipov explains retirement: ‘I don’t feel the way I used to’ – BloodyElbow.com
- Donald Cerrone responds to Anthony Smith accusing him of stealing family’s seats during UFC 235 title fight – MMAFighting.com
My favourite? This little number right here:
First fighter to show blood
Zabit speaks on his retirement
Sean Strickland shares some sparring footage
Darren Till and Khamazat reunited once again
Manager to the stars Ali Abdelaziz on current international tensions
Big Mouth shows off his chain
The morning view
Refresh yourself with this weekends cohort of fighters
Kiiyon Kimura gives a crash course on one half of this weekends main event
Chael’s take on DC’s take…
MMA On Point details the worst UFC debuts in history
- Cory Sandhagen in the works to face Song Yadong, targeted to headline September 17 UFC event
- Damon Jackson to fight Pat Sabatini at September 17 UFC event (per Irridium Sports)
- Nathaniel Wood to fight Charles Rosa at UFC London on July 23rd
- Aljamain Sterling in the works to face T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 279 on September 10th (per MMA Junkie)
- Daniel Da Silva will replace Jake Hadley as Victor Altamirano’s opponent at UFC 279 on September 10th (per ESPN Deportes)
- Jessica Andrade will replace Katlyn Chookagian as Manon Fiorot’s opponent at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per MMA Kings)
- Ian Garry to fight Gabe Green at UFC 276 on July 2 (per UFC announcement)
- Andre Fili to fight Lando Vanatta at September 17 UFC event (per MMA Junkie, confirmed by Andre Fili)
- Jason Witt to fight Josh Quinlan at August 6th UFC event (per Sherdog)Kamaru Usman to fight Leon Edwards at UFC 278 on August 20th (per UFC announcement)
- Alan Nascimento to fight Malcolm Gordon at August 13th UFC event (per MMA Junkie)
- Takashi Sato to fight Bryan Battle (dropping to welterweight) at August 6th UFC event (per MMA Fighting)
On this day in MMA…
On June 17, 2017, Holly Holm scored a third-round knockout of Bethe Correia in their UFC Fight Night 111 headline bout. This win ended Holm’s three-fight skid, it being her first victory since she defeated Ronda Rousey in 2015 in a similar fashion.