Is Kevin Holland truly hanging up his gloves?
On Thursday the UFC’s answer to Batman signalled that he is stepping away from competitive mixed martial arts with a social media post. The news follows ‘Big Mouth’s recent first-round defeat at the hands of Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 279 just weeks ago.
On a subsequent Instagram story, Holland wrote “Retired by 30.”
As MMA departures go, it remains to be seen just how serious the 29-year-old will take his ‘retirement’. As it stands, Holland holds a professional record of 23-8 over eight years, with more than half of his wins coming via knockout.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Inside scoop: Sam Alvey: There are too many early stoppages in the UFC and I hate it
- Post fight: Anthony Hernandez battles through gruesome thumb injury, becomes first man to submit Marc-André Barriault
- DWCS: Donovan Beard asked for Bo Nickal, no-sells his wrestling – ‘he can’t do that the entire fight’
The best of the rest
- Scott Coker tried to make Anderson Silva vs Fedor Emilianenko, hopes to re-open dialogue and make it happen in Japan – BJPenn.com
- Chael Sonnen has 2 misdemeanor battery charges dismissed in Las Vegas hotel attack case – MMAJunkie.com
- Bellator’s Scott Coker ‘Not Sure’ About Re-Signing Eddie Alvarez: ‘I’m Extremely Happy With Our Roster’ – MMAIsland.com
- UFC Orlando officially announced for Dec. 3 – MMAFighting.com
- Mike Perry wants Nate Diaz in BKFC for the fans: Let’s give them ‘what they want to see’ – BloodyElbow.com
Conor compares himself to a GOAT:
Diaz with a GOAT:
Paulo Costa and the company he keeps:
Brunson’s take on his ‘son’s’ retirement:
Footage of Tom Hardy on the mats:
T-Wrecks fancies his chances:
Jake Matthews is begging for a fight:
Life advice from Platinum Perry:
Yoel Romero is scary at 205-pounds:
The morning view
JHK chops it up with one half of UFC Vegas 61’s main event:
DC plays mediator in an interview with Dustin Poirier and Michael Chandler:
The Weasle details Kevin Holland’s retirement:
Volk pays tribute to the featherweight GOAT, Jose Aldo:
- Darrick Minner will fight Shayilan Nuerdanbieke at UFC Vegas 64 on November 5th (per Marcel Dorff)
- Daniel Rodriguez to fight Neil Magny at UFC Vegas 62 on October 15th (per MMA Island)
- Shamil Abdurakhimov to fight Jailton Almeida at UFC 280 on October 22nd (per AG Fight)
- Albert Duraev to fight Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC Vegas 66 on December 17th (per MMA Fighting)
- none to note
- Jarzinho Rozenstruik vs Chris Daukaus rescheduled for UFC 282 on December 10th (per Nolan King)
On this day in MMA…
On the 23rd of September, 2006, Matt Hughes and BJ Penn faced off in a rematch at UFC 63, for the UFC Welterweight title
In their prior bout, Penn became the first person to defeat Hughes in the welterweight’s past 20 fights – a loss that Hughes avenged in the rematch.
After a dominating performance by Penn in the opening two rounds, and looking close to being disposed of late in the second, Hughes mounted one of the greatest comebacks of all time when a visibly gassed Penn emerged for the third round.
A single, solid punch opened up Penn for a takedown and from there it was game over. North of 20 unanswered punches and elbows were force-fed to Penn while he was trapped in bottom position before the ref stepped in.
The pair was awarded fight of the night honors.