Women’s MMA trailblazer Joanna Jędrzejczyk has hung up the gloves after a storied career.
During her post-fight interview following a KO loss in her rematch against Zhang Weili, the decorated 34-year-old veteran announced her decision to retire and thanked fans for their support.
“It’s been 20 years. I’m turning 35 this year. I want to be a mom, I want to be a businesswoman. I’ve been training two decades – more than half of my life. I appreciate you all. I love you guys.”
She went on to explain to reporters later that, while the announcement was an “in the moment” decision, it was a thought she’d been mulling over for some time.
Catch the headlines as they happened with The AllStar’s UFC 275 Live Blog coverage.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- UFC 275: New 205-pound champion Jiri Prochazka not happy with ‘lazy’ performance
- UFC 275: Valentina Shevchenko addresses ‘robbery’ claims in beating Santos
- UFC 275: Zhang Weili sombre after highlight-reel knockout in Singapore
- UFC 275: Jack Della Maddalena’s streak extends to 12 in a row after TKO victory in Singapore
- Opinion: Who deserved to win: Valentina Shevchenko or Taila Santos? An insider’s take
The best of the rest
- Taila Santos to undergo surgery for broken orbital bone after clash of heads with Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 275 – MMAFighting.com
- ‘No f*cking way!’ Watch Dana White lose his mind as Glover Teixeira taps at UFC 275 – MMAJunkie.com
- Bonuses! Weili’s Knockout Leads Long List Of $50K Winners – MMAMania.com
- Robert Whittaker wants to get back at Israel Adesanya, but leaves door open to 205 – TheMacLife.com
- Kamaru Usman vs Leon Edwards II Officially Set For UFC 278 In August – MiddleEasy.com
No pro tip today. We’ll focus on the current odds for the UFC Fight Night on June 19 to kick off the week:
Lines presented by crypto sports book Cloudbet:
The morning view
Stylebender shares his live-reactions to UFC 275
MMA analyst The Weasle breaks down UFC 275’s crown jewel
Michael Bisping offers his thoughts on UFC 275
Dan Hardy preps for his July boxing match with Diego Sanchez
Teixeira wants that one back
Jan is ready for a new challenge
Brunson got jokes
Ariel is in favour of a Shevchenko/Santos rematch
Meatball gives her two cents on the ‘robbery’
As does King Casey
The Iceman congratulates Weili
The lightweight king honours Joanna ‘Champion’
- Kamaru Usman to fight Leon Edwards at UFC 278 on August 20th (per UFC announcement)
- Alan Nascimento to fight Malcolm Gordon on August 13th event (per MMA Junkie)
The last word
I’m still processing that pay-per-view card. It honestly had no right to be as good as it was.
Let us know whose performance surprised you the most in the comments below!
On this day in MMA…
On June 12, 2010, UFC hall of famer, Chuck Liddell was finished in the first round at UFC 115 when Rich Franklin dropped him with a single punch.
That bout would be the last of the ‘Iceman’s’ 12-year run in the UFC – and the second last of his career, save for the infamous Tito Ortiz trilogy fight under Golden Boy Promotions.