Tom Aspinall has been down in the dumps since UFC London.
Just 15 seconds into the Brit’s headline bout opposite Curtis Blaydes, Aspinall suffered a fight-ending knee injury sustained while throwing a leg kick. Yesterday, he posted an update on social media saying he expects to undergo surgery next week.
“Hello, everybody. Just a quick update on the knee situation, because everyone is asking about the diagnosis and what happened to the knee,” Aspinall said. “Anybody that has knee problems knows that in order to have an MRI scan, an accurate MRI scan, I need to let the swelling go down.
“So I spoke to the surgeon, and we have a rough idea of what it is, but we’re currently waiting for the swelling to go down, and I will be having the MRI scan this weekend and having surgery early next week in London. So, just want to say thank you to everyone who’s reached out. I’ve been offline. I’ve been out in the dumps since Saturday night, but hopefully I can get that fixed and get surgery early next week.”
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Opinion: How do MMA contracts work? An insider’s take
- UFC 277: Kai Kara France prepared for a blood and guts war with Brandon Moreno – “That’s the only way this fight’s gonna end up”
- UFC 277: Blood Diamond aims for a more patient approach against Orion Cosce
The best of the rest
- Coach: ‘In a perfect world’ Khamzat beats Kamaru Usman and Israel Adesanya in back-to-back fights – BloodyElbow.com
- Alexandre Pantoja expects title shot with UFC 277 win over Alex Perez – MMAJunkie.com
- Dana White calls ACA promoter’s timidity cancellation ‘incredibly unprofessional, but f****** awesome’ – MMAFighting.com
- Curtis Blaydes baffled why Jon Jones is mad at him: ‘Maybe he had too many drinks’ – MMAFighting.com
- Valentina Shevchenko: Amanda Nunes ‘didn’t look like herself’ vs. Julianna Peña, picks her to win rematch – BloodyElbow.com
Here’s a look at the odds for the main and co-main event of UFC 277, presented by crypto sportsbook Cloudbet:
Leon Edwards carrying the torch:
Looks like Topuria has a fight booked:
Brunson kicking goals:
Does size matter?:
Brazil’s newest prospect gets a fight:
Will these lightweight stars clash soon:
The Prospect wants a quick turn around:
Paulo vs USADA:
The morning view
Get your punts locked for the weekend ahead with The AllStar’s Propping You Up:
UFC 277 Embedded episode four drops:
Catch up on the UFC 277 press conference:
- Hakeem Dawodu to fight Julian Erosa at UFC 279 on September 10th
- Youssef Zalal to fight Cristian Quiñonez at UFC San Diego on August 13th
- Jake Collier to fight Chris Barnett at UFC 279 on September 10th
- Ode’ Osbourne to fight Tyson Nam at UFC San Diego on August 13th
- Cub Swanson to fight Jonathan Martinez at UFC event on October 15th
- Brogan Walker to fight Juliana Miller at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th
- Zac Pauga to fight Mohammed Usman at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th
- Jamie Pickett to fight Denis Tiuliulin at UFC 279 on September 10th
On this day in MMA…
On the 29th of July, 2017,Jon Jones defeated Daniel Cormier in their second meeting at UFC 214 in Anaheim California.
Jones finished the ‘DC’ in the third round of their headline title fight with a head kick followed by punches to reclaim the light-heavyweight crown – however, the result would later be overturned to a no contest when Jones tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs; and the belt would be reinstated to Cormier.