Former UFC Fighter Elias Theodorou passed away on Sunday at age 34.
According to TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter, Theodorou was battling stage four liver cancer and had kept the diagnosis largely private save for a select few.
The Ontario native competed in the UFC between 2014-2019 over 11 fights, after winning the TUF Nations season of The Ultimate Fighter. Inside the promotion, Theodorou held notable wins over Eryk Anders, Sam Alvey and Dan Kelly, before his eventual release from the organisation.
Theodorou was also a heavy advocate for the use of medical marijuana in combat sports. In 2020, he became the first fighter to be given a therapeutic exemption for medical cannabis, granted by the British Columbia Athletic Commission.
The Canadian’s record since departing the UFC in 2019 stood at 3-0.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- UFC Vegas 60: Tony Gravely says undefeated prospect Javid Basharat is in for a rude awakening
- UFC Vegas 60: After a 15-month layoff, Tanner Boser is hungry for a knockout win bonus at UFC Vegas 60
- UFC Vegas 60: Anthony Hernandez looking forward to “fan-pleaser” fight against Marc-André Barriault
- UFC Vegas 60: Will UFC Vegas 60 give us a new featherweight contender? Damon Jackson thinks so
The best of the rest
- Conor McGregor responds to Nate Diaz’s post-fight criticism of boxing career: ‘You’re nothing without me’ – MMAFighting.com
- Khamzat Chimaev: Nate Diaz turned down ‘$2 million’ offer to fight after UFC 279 weigh-in fiasco – BloodyElbow.com
- Dana White reacts to Nate Diaz leaving UFC: ‘No matter what Nate does from here on out, this is his house’ – MMAFighting.com
- Khamzat Chimaev explains why he would rather train with Robert Whittaker than fight him – MMAJunkie.com
- Tony Ferguson admits tactical mistake in UFC 279 loss to Nate Diaz: ‘Should’ve kept it standing’ – MMAJunkie.com
MMA Twitter reacts to UFC 279:
The morning view
Catch Dan Hooker and John Hyon Ko’s reaction to UFC 279:
MMA Analyst The Weasle breaks down Nate Diaz’ win over Tony Ferguson:
Stylbender reacts to the craziness UFC 279:
- None to note
On this day in MMA…
On the 12th of September, 2020, Roxanne Modafferi secured the final win of her professional MMA career at UFC Vegas 10.
‘The Happy Warrior’, a +260 underdog that night, took her opponent, Andrea Lee, to the judges scorecards in the rematch between these two flyweights. The verdict was a unanimous decision win in favour of Modafferi, leaving her 2-0 against the striker Lee.