Heavy hands must run in the family.
Thor Silva, the 19-year-old son of Pride and UFC veteran Wanderlei Silva, put a stamp on his amateur MMA debut with a first-round finish of his opponent at Fight Music Show 2 in Curitiba, Brazil.
The senior ‘Axe Murderer’ was present in his son’s corner for the fight, in which Silva moved to the ground early after securing a single-leg takedown. Following this, the prospect proceeded to unload a flurry of punches from mount and back mount before securing a first-round TKO finish just two minutes and 13 seconds into the bout.
A solid first step in continuing the legacy of his father.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- UFC Vegas 61: Riding high on UFC Vegas 60 win, Trey Ogden calls for Paddy Pimblett at UFC 281
- DWCS: Donovan Beard asked for Bo Nickal, no-sells his wrestling – ‘he can’t do that the entire fight’
- DWCS: Australia’s Jack Jenkins finally feels validated after 14 years of grinding
- Inside scoop: Sam Alvey: There are too many early stoppages in the UFC and I hate it
- Post fight: Anthony Hernandez battles through gruesome thumb injury, becomes first man to submit Marc-André Barriault
The best of the rest
- Dagestani MMA fighter flees Russia after being drafted to fight in Ukraine – BloodyElbow.com
- UFC’s Chimaev celebrates Kadyrov as dictator forcibly conscripts Chechens for Ukraine war – BloodyElbow.com
- Scott Coker clarifies comments about Bellator contacting Nate Diaz – MMAJunkie.com
- Cris Cyborg wins decision over Simone Silva in boxing debut – MMAFighting.com
- Eddie Hearn files $100 million defamation lawsuit against Jake Paul after fight-fixing allegations – MMAFighting.com
Conor shows off some moves:
Thug Nasty blasts TJ Dillashaw
Cyborg after a successful venture into boxing:
Song Yadong got that Wolverine skin:
New Mansa plans to stand and bang:
Mike Davis the entrepreneur:
Paulo’s been sharing secrets with his cat:
The morning view
Johnny Eblen teases a move to boxing:
Chelsea Chandler previews her UFC Vegas 61 bout:
Volk details his guillotine escape from a year ago today:
The Weasle breaks down Floyd Mayweather’s Rizin fight:
- Derrick Lewis to fight Serghei Spivac at UFC Vegas 65 on November 19th (per UFC)
- Chris Curtis to fight Joaquin Buckley at UFC 282 on December 10th (per Iridium Sports)
- Gabriel Bonfim to fight Mounir Lazzez at UFC 283 on January 21st (per Iridium Sports)
- Yamato Nishikawa replaces J. Mullarkey to fight Magomed Mustafaev at UFC 280 on October 22nd (per MMA Fight Universe)
On this day in MMA…
On the 26th of September, 2003, a young Nick Diaz made his UFC debut at UFC 44: Undisputed.
In a rematch of their previous fight at IFC: Warriors Challenge 18 (a fight in which Diaz won via KO in the opening round), Diaz would face Jeremy Jackson on the event’s preliminary card – this time disposing of Jackson two minutes into the third round via an armbar.
Over the next 19 years, Diaz would fight in multiple organizations, eventually landing in Strikeforce before the UFC absorbed their roster in 2011.
Diaz is still under contract with the UFC to this day, last competing in 2021 in a rematch with Robbie Lawler – the man who Diaz bested in his sophomore UFC appearance.