It seems that lingering questions around Sean O’Malley’s ability will soon be answered.
The 27-year-old star-in-the-making revealed on Wednesday’s segment of DC and RC that he’s slated to face former bantamweight champion, Petr Yan, at UFC 280 in Abu Dhabi.
“I’m getting a fight that I wanted, and the fight that people wanted,” O’Malley told ESPN’s Ryan Clark.” I’m fighting Petr Yan on October 22nd in Abu Dhabi… I’m so excited for this, I almost can’t believe it’s real… In my eyes, Petr – well, he’s obviously the number one contender right now… He could be considered the champion…It’s the biggest fight in the bantamweight division right now. I think it’s bigger than Aljo vs TJ.”
‘Sugar’ is coming off a recent No Contest with Pedro Munhoz, while Yan’s last outing was a loss to current 135-pound champ Aljamain Sterling – they’ll both be looking for statement wins on an already stacked pay-per-view card, headlined by Charles Oliveira and Islam Makhachev.
The AllStar MMA roundup
- UFC London: Charles Johnson shrugs off Muhammad Mokaev trolls – “I’m gonna hurt this kid”
- UFC London: Charles Rosa wants to knock Nathaniel Wood ‘back down to bantamweight’
- Fight Or Flight: Keep up with John Hyon Ko’s journey as he trains to take an MMA fight
The best of the rest
- Cain Velasquez’s attorney files petition to California appellate court requesting release from jail – MMAJunkie.com
- Rafael Fiziev doubles down on callout of Justin Gaethje: ‘We need to find out who is the nose job’ king – MMAFighting.com
- ‘Pissed off’ Paddy Pimblett believes Jordan Leavitt’s ‘head is going to fall off’ at UFC London – MMAFighting.com
- Jack Hermansson had a ‘bad feeling’ Darren Till fight wouldn’t happen at UFC London – MMAJunkie.com
- Alexander Gustafsson says teammate Khamzat Chimaev will beat Nate Diaz up at UFC 279 – BloodyElbow.com
Paddy clarifies what it means to ‘teabag’ someone:
And doubles down on his threat:
Khamzat with the disrespect:
T-wrecks makes a prediction:
Some good lads shout Mikey B a cheeky Nandos:
The morning view
Keep up with JHK’s journo to fighter journey:
The Weasle reacts to Petr Yan vs Sean O’Malley:
Dan Hardy breaks down Tom Aspinall vs Curtis Blaydes:
- Beneil Dariush to fight Mateusz Gamrot at UFC 280 on October 22nd (per ESPN)
- Taylor Lapilus to fight Khalid Taha at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per Culture MMA)
- Z.Tukhugov out, David Onama to fight Nate Landwehr at UFC San Diego on August 13th (per Iridium Sports Agency)
- Khamzat Chimaev to fight Nate Diaz at UFC 279 on September 10th (per ESPN)
- Aljamain Sterling in the works to fight TJ Dillashaw for the bantamweight title at UFC 280 on October 22nd (per Yahoo Sports)
- Justin Tafa out, Don’Tale Mayes to fight Hamdy Abdelwahab at UFC 277 on July 30th (per ESPN)
- Charles Oliveira to fight Islam Makhachev at UFC 280 on October 22nd (per UFC)
- J.Andrade out, Katlyn Chookagian back in to fight Manon Fiorot at UFC Paris on September 3rd (per UFC)
On this day in MMA…
On the 21st of July, 2012, Renan Barão claimed the (interim) UFC Bantamweight title with a unanimous decision win over Urijah Faber in their first meeting at UFC 149.
Barao rode a legendary 28-fight unbeaten streak into the clash, and would win all but one round on two of the judge’s scorecards; the third deemed it a shutout with a 50-45 ruling.
Barao would defend the interim belt twice, before being awarded undisputed gold when the previous champ, Dominick Cruz, withdrew from their scheduled unification bout.