The MMA world’s favorite love-to-hate fighter ‘Sugar’ Sean O’Malley has once again gone rife with hyperbole.
On a recent episode of the Timbo Sugar Show the 27-year-old claimed that despite not being a top-five bantamweight, his name holds a similar value to those elite contenders of the division – pointing to the Marlon ‘Chito’ Vera fight to substantiate his bold claim.
“When ‘Chito’ beat’ me, I was not ranked and his next fight was Jose Aldo – who literally [had] just fought for the belt,” ‘Sugar’ stated. “So beating me is not like you just beat some random. You get paid, it’s a big fight, and I’m a title eliminator fighter.”
In the same video O’Malley also takes aim at “little fucking weasel,” Petr Yan, as well as Henry Cejudo, claiming they’re ‘all talk’. “Henry doesn’t want that fight or else we can make it happen. Petr, same thing.”
The AllStar MMA roundup
- UFC Long Island: Yair Rodriguez ‘versatility’ will be too much for Brian Ortega’s skillset at UFC Long Island – Dan Hooker
- UFC Long Island: Dustin Jacoby ready to defend rankings spot against “very tough challenge” Da Un Jung
- Opinion: Pandemic era MMA: How one UFC fighter survived Covid
The best of the rest
- UFC paying lobbyists big money as Senate closes on bill that could affect fighters’ employee status – BloodyElbow.com
- Nate Diaz implores UFC to let him fight out deal, but feels promotion is ‘holding me hostage’ – MMAFighting.com
- Rafael Fiziev to have nose surgery following main event stoppage win over Rafael dos Anjos at UFC Vegas 58- MMAFighting.com
- Amanda Nunes details living out of gym ahead of Julianna Pena rematch at UFC 277- MMAMania.com
- Brian Ortega reveals he was going to “quit” MMA if he lost to Thiago Tavares in 2015: “I wasn’t making money, I had 75 dollars to my name” – BJPenn.com
Markets presented by Crypto sports book Cloudbet:
Yair Rodriguez (13-3) vs Brian Ortega (15-2)
Michelle Waterson (18-9) vs Amanda Lemos (11-2-1)
Free Nate until it’s backwards:
Does Izzy take the cringe crown:
King Casey updates on her recovery:
T-wrecks setting goals:
The morning view
Adrian Yanez breaks down Aljo vs TJ:
JHK chops it up with Alex Moreno:
An always-entertaining episode of Room Service Diaries ft. Micheal Chiesa:
Dan Hardy previews this weekend’s main event:
- Anthony Hernandez to fight Marc-André Barriault at September 17th UFC event.
- Nate Landwehr to fight Zubaira Tukhugov at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th (per UFC)
- Giga Chikadze to fight Sodiq Yusuff at September 17th UFC event (per UFC)
- Tanner Boser to fight Rodrigo Nascimento at September 17th UFC event (per MMA Fighting)
On this day in MMA…
On July 13th, 1996, Frank Mir slid to 4-1 when suffered the first defeat of his career at the hands of Ian Freeman.
Many had written Freeman off as the older fighter, and Mir was the heavy favorite having come off three first-round finishes within the last year. Freeman rocked Mir in the first, then delivered vicious ground and pound. Mir eventually got up but signaled to the referee that he couldn’t continue the fight.