Last night, the UFC president revealed that he wasn’t initially on board with the left-of-field bantamweight pairing when matchmaker Sean Shelby proposed the bout.
“We were in matchmaking and Sean Shelby actually came up with that fight,” White said at the post-fight media scrum following yesterday’s broadcast of Dana White’s Contender Series. “I said, ‘Are you out of your mind? You don’t make that fight now. This and that.’ He told me why he’d make it and O’Malley’s ready. You know, O’Malley’s about to be 28 years old in October – in his absolute prime right now. Hits like a truck.
“He ended up selling me on it. And more importantly, both guys wanted it. And even more important than that, when we announced it, everybody went crazy and loves it. And even more important than that, it should be a fucking really good fight.”
The AllStar MMA roundup
- Exclusive: Mark Hunt’s lacing up the boxing gloves once again: `I’ve still got the fire’
- UFC 277: Kai Kara France prepared for a blood and guts war with Brandon Moreno – “That’s the only way this fight’s gonna end up”
- UFC 277: Blood Diamond aims for a more patient approach against Orion Cosce
The best of the rest
- UFC champ Francis Ngannou ‘ahead of schedule or on track’ to return, coach Eric Nicksick says – MMAJunkie.com
- Amanda Nunes says ‘a lot of things went wrong’ in UFC 269 camp vs. Julianna Peña, was advised to pull out – MMAJunkie.com
- Dana White to critics of $250k gift to Nelk Boys: ‘All these people on the internet, go f*** yourself’ – MMAFighting.com
- DWCS Season 6, Week 1 results: Joe Pyfer closes show with knockout – and gets only UFC contract – MMAFighting.com
- Khamzat Chimaev explains why he won’t watch his UFC 273 fight with Gilbert Burns: “I was a little bit stupid in that fight, just going forward” – BJPenn.com
Dana lays down the law after a dull DWCS broadcast:
Brad Ridell wants in on the Abu Dhabi card:
The Action man and the West Lynn Gangster have a public tiff:
DC puts some youngsters in their place:
The morning view
Vicente Luque catches up with The AllStar ahead of his UFC Vegas 59 bout:
Mark Hunt catches up with John Hyon Ko in the latest instalment of Fine Dining with Fighters:
UFC 277 Embedded episode two drops:
Dan Hardy breaks down Peña vs Nunes II:
- Jake Collier to fight Chris Barnett at UFC 279 on September 10th
- Ode’ Osbourne to fight Tyson Nam at UFC San Diego on August 13th
- Cub Swanson to fight Jonathan Martinez at UFC event on October 15th
- Brogan Walker to fight Juliana Miller at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th
- Zac Pauga to fight Mohammed Usman at UFC Vegas 59 on August 6th
- Jamie Pickett to fight Denis Tiuliulin at UFC 279 on September 10th
On this day in MMA…
On the 27th of July, 1997, ‘The Smashing Machine’ Mark Kerr made his UFC debut at UFC 14: Showdown in Birmingham, Alabama.
Kerr would compete in the heavyweight tournament, and finish both of his bouts in the opening minutes, the second by a unique ‘chin to the eye’ submission, to win the 200+ pound bracket championship.
Here’s the footage of that rare sub: